Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cantilever Column System for carport vs ASCE 7-16 12.2.5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trwo3

Structural
Mar 13, 2023
US
I am designing an open carport structure using a cantilevered column system with multiple columns in an area with very high snow loads (almost 100 PSF roof snow load). Because of those very high snow loads, I am finding it a little tricky getting under the 15% axial capacity requirement with economical column sizes, although I can get kind of close. The commentary mentions the requirement being put into the code after collapse of some apartment buildings utilizing this system due to lack of redundancy. For the structure I'm designing, which has a lower loss of life risk than an apartment building, 15% seems a little strict/conservative. Does anyone else agree or is 15% a hard line not to cross? I am using a k value of 2.1 for the column design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Other than formally documenting your engineering judgement, I don't quite see a way around this one. I have ran into this issue myself before and haven't gotten it to work once, except for when I design signs or things of that nature. I always have to go the direction of moment frames, which feels absolutely ridiculous.

I am a firm believer that the codes are too strict in this manner and if the expected occupancy is less than 3 at a time, it should be exempt from all seismic portions of the code for this very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back