cantilever sheet piling wall penetrating a granular soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoshang

Civil/Environmental
Jul 18, 2012
IQ
Hi all,
I tried solving Example 14.1 in the Braja M. Das "Principles of FOUNDATION ENGINEERING" textbook using Mathcad, but the results doesn't seem match the manual calculation. Please find the attached file. I tried solving it using soil pressures rather than soil net pressures used in the example. I don't know where I'm doing wrong. Your help would be highly appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3bff0a2c-bcd0-4e46-bbe7-35fffe5556a8&file=cantilever_sheet-pile_wall_penetrating_a_granular_soil.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’ve only glanced at your file. An observation I made was that you’re using the Find command. The versions of Mathcad I’ve used require you to create a solve block by using the word “Given” above the “Find” command, with your equations to solve between the two words. Your initial guess values above the word “Given”. Are you setting up the solve block correctly?

Those boxes are not decorations; they're Mathcad Prime solve blocks, which is why some of the equal signs appear bolded.

OP, posting the actual Mathcad file is much more useful; a non-executable PDF does not do much for debugging. The box is the equivalent of "Given"; a closer examination shows the first section to be "Guess Values, 2nd section "Constraints", 3rd section is "Solve", I think.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Hi IRstuff,
hoshang said:
I tried solving it using soil pressures rather than soil net pressures used in the example.
I meant the way in the attached image:
CE_540_Module_5.1_Sheet_Pile_cantilevered_9-4_screenshot_qgmgag.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back