Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilever

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I've always understood that a cantilever is a structural element with a fixed end and a free end. Is there a requirement that it has to be horizontal? I wasn't aware that this was a condition. Does anyone have a reference to this?

Thanks...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks jay... I've never considered them to have an orientation.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

In my opinion a cantilever can be spanning in any direction. Shear walls are essentially vertical cantilevers. Flag poles are also vertical cantilevers.

Cantilevers can be built in any direction. Horizontal, such as a diving board or a balcony on a high rise building. Vertical, such as a flag pole or an unbraced soldier beam for an excavation support system. Angled from vertical, such a a battered, cantilevered soldier beam.

who's telling you this "nonsense" ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

...another website, where a posted has quoted Wiki as a reference.

-----*****-----

-Dik

The AISC code refers to "cantilevered beam-columns", etc, from a text search for "cantilever". I don't see where the term by itself is specifically defined or used to mean a vertical member.

Thanks, gentlemen (binary term)...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Definition of cantilever , from FREE DICTIONARY ;

Cantilever , perhaps ( cant + lever)

1. (Civil Engineering)
a. a beam, girder, or structural framework that is fixed at one end and is free at the other
b. (as modifier): a cantilever wing.
2. (Aeronautics) a wing or tailplane of an aircraft that has no external bracing or support
3. (Civil Engineering) a part of a beam or a structure projecting outwards beyond its support
4. (Building) a part of a beam or a structure projecting outwards beyond its support
vb
5. (Civil Engineering) (tr) to construct (a building member, beam, etc) so that it is fixed at one end only
6. (Civil Engineering) (intr) to project like a cantilever

According to the grace of God which is given
unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. . . .
I Corinthians 3:10

In my head this is one of those ones with subtle differences between day-to-day nomenclature and technical accuracy
To me, if someone just said "cantilever" I would think of something horizontal projecting beyond a support line (either a fixed end or a continuous beam spanning over the support)
I think this is what the average person would envision too

However, something can also cantilever vertically under your definition - I regularly use this in engineering contexts (cantilever poles etc)
To me, this is more in the engineering lexicon than the average person's but is a completely correct use of the word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back