Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilevered Deck Retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Got into a cantilevered deck fix. Main joists cantilever out 50% of the way of the deck, then each side a joist is sistered on to finish the cantilever. Plan is to open up the floor and replace whats rotted, and add new cantilever. Not all joists will need replaced.

My thought is I want to have the new joists sistered go all the way back to the support, and be tied into the wall. I dont want to have them terminate X distance back.

Whats the best advice for these? Make sure existing is tied down at walls?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I despise these things. My advice is usually to cut it off and either build a balcony with posts or bolt a Juliet balcony to the wall.

That said...I'd have the full length of the joist, from tip of cantilever to the end of the back span be one piece. No notching or cutting a slope in it for drainage.

OR...cantilever a pair of beams out from the wall to minimize penetrations and then frame in between.

phamENG, I wish I could talk them into posts. Its part of a Condo, so do one, do them all.

I dont know yet how far back the joists go. But either way, its only a 4' deck, so they would only need to be 2'-0" longer than existing.

Just do this!
Deck_gfvjjw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back