Cantilevered MSE Wall on Shotcrete Slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

stemac

Geotechnical
Jun 19, 2024
CA
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a 2-story parking garage excavation project located next to a ~60' slope. As you can see in my crude drawing, the slope has been covered with wire mesh and an ~4" layer of shotcrete. The toe of this slope is set back 3' from the excavation.

The Structural engineer has proposed the construction of a cantilevered MSE wall that extends from the bottom of the excavation to 12' above the toe of the slope. They have requested us to provide calculations of the expected earth pressures on the wall and expected deflections. The proposed plan is to leave the shotcrete in place and place granular fill with geogrid reinforcement on top of it.

I am currently thinking that I can use the Rankine lateral earth pressures to calculate the force on the wall, but I am unsure of using this method with geogrid soil reinforcement. Additionally, I am unsure if it is safe to assume no lateral pressure will come from the (currently freestanding) shotcrete slope. A conservative approach would be to assume that there is no shotcrete on the slope, as the slope is only designed as a temporary soil retaining structure and the long term behavior has not been considered, but this may be overly conservative. I think it is also important to consider the friction angle between the MSE wall granular fill and the shotcrete as this will not be a soil-soil interface. I am also curious if anybody has experience with MSE walls that have variable length reinforcement layers like those in my drawing. I have read that it can be useful to extend the upper layers of reinforcement, however it is also my understanding that the bottom layers will have to withstand the most force and therefore it may not be ideal to truncate them.

IMG_7856_k0b5kp.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am unsure if it is safe to assume no lateral pressure will come from the (currently freestanding) shotcrete slope.

A conservative approach would be to assume that there is no shotcrete on the slope... but this may be overly conservative.

IMHO, there are several ways to look at this problem and all of them should give similar answers.... because "There Is No Free Lunch". That is, all of the soil in question, whether under the slope protection shotcrete or not, is relatively close to the proposed retaining wall. Load from this nearby soil does not just "vanish" because it under the shotcrete (I believe the modern term is "global stability").

The way (of many) I choose to look at this is to (temporarily) ignore the upper portion of the proposed wall and "convert" the 45[sup]o[/sup] sloped shotcrete-covered soil into an equivalent system of terraced wall (an infinite number of very short, closely spaced terraces, to be exact). To me there is no question that the lower wall (bottom portion of the proposed wall) has to be designed to account for load from essentially all of the terraces:

Equivalent-600_pjmbw9.png

Shotcrete helps to stop loose material ravelling from the slope and prevent surficial, shallow slips.

you have a very steep slope, shotcrete on its own will do nothing for improving your stability againts larger slip surfaces.

I never heard of a "cantilevered MSE wall." Shotcrete alone does support slopes; it is just a thin, relatively lightweight facing on an excavated slope. I recommend that you get some local help from a geotechnical engineer who has a lot of experience with MSE walls and with soil nail/ shotcrete walls. Please describe the wall(?) that is to the right of the words "Underground Parking." Is that also an MSE wall? How high or deep is this structure? Ground conditions? Soil, rock, water?

PEinc - shotcrete facing alone on that slope alone is not going to do very much, if anything to stabilise that slope. It needs soil nails. Or a Macaferri terramesh system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back