Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capacitor size for motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

justint

Electrical
Aug 17, 2007
GB
Hi

Is there a calculator or rule of thumb to use for selecting start and run capacitors for single phase inductance motors if i know the supply voltage and current ratings for the motor.

I normally refer back to the manufacturer but was hoping for an alternative method.

Justin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The EASA Tech Manual section 3.10 has some guideance for a motor that has a single cap in series with the start winding. They start with a thumbrule 400 mfd per horsepower at 115 volts, and 100 mfd per horsepower at 230 volts.

Then they suggest checking the value as follows:
block the rotor apply voltage to the series start winding / cap and measure voltage accross each. Cap voltage should be 5% - 10% higher than starting winding voltage.

I am not sure how this procedure changes if a run cap is also included. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed extensively on the forum before although I didn't pay much attention. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back