Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

capacity of conc section with correded reinf 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

doejohn

Structural
Mar 25, 2004
US
I may shortly be asked to compute the axial compression and flexural bending moment capacities of a reinforced concrete section with assumed amounts of the reinforcement "lost" through corrosion. That is, I know what the section looks like today, before any corrosion, and I'll be given the "amount" of corrosion in terms of steel weight lost. One approach would be to simply use the amount of remaining, non-correded steel in a standard analysis of RC section capacity (i.e. the bending capacity of a beam with 2 bars with 50% weight lost is equal to that of a non-corroded beam with one bar). But since the corrosion starts at the outside face of the bars, at the steel-conc interface, I wonder if the effects on bar bond are such that this "linear" approach isn't appropriate? Perhaps loosing (say) 20% of bar weight renders a bar completely ineffective. (Important detail: I'm told that the nature of the corrosion is such that the buildup of expanded, corroded material, which commonly spalls the concrete, isn't expected.) What approaches have the forum members taken? Thanks for any insights.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most structural engineers think of section loss when discussing the capacity of R/C sections and corrosion; however, an examination of photos after a collapse of a parking garage will show the bars never broke. The true failure mode is most often a loss of development and the concrete simply slides past the bar on its way down. When attempting to get me to understand this, my old concrete professor (from Turkey) said to me while holding a photo up, "Look at the spaggettis, look at the spaggettis, what do you think cause this?" Therefore, I would take a hard look at development of the reinforcement. Also, I believe the major contributer to this loss of development is the swelling of the bar as it corrodes. Good Luck - Dinosaur

Sometimes it depends on where along the length of the member the corrosion occurs. For a beam, many times the low point in the beam is near midspan and the corrosion appears on the bottom, where water and oxygen has infiltrated through the flexural cracks at midspan. Here, the concrete spalls off on the tension face and loss of section occurs. However, the bond issue doesn't apply as the development of the tension reinforcing occurs further on toward the supports where no corrosion occurs.

When loss of section occurs near the supports, the top steel is the primary concern, not the bottom steel. The stirrups also may loose section and bond - very difficult to see sometimes.

Thanks Dinosaur, JAE, and SlideRuleEra, for your insights! In particular, the reference in SlideRuleEra's first link (a 1994 report sponsored by Fed Highway Admin and Illinois DOT) was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back