Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAPM (Certified Associate of Project management)

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaeng

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2008
US
HI All,

I am planning to appear for CAPM (Certified Associate of Project management)to steer career towards Construction Management and wondering what value would it add to an Masters degree( Civil Engg )and what value does it hold in the market.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.Tried searching for other courses that could add to resume but seem unaffordable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Project Management and engineering are two different things, in some industries they mesh well in others not so well.

The skills and knoweldge gained under PMI ONLY work on on large, long term projects. In my industry we rarely have these types of projects. In civil engineering projects like dams and roads, the PMI skills will help you.

Un derstand that Project Managers give up engineering, you hire the engineer. Project managers are glorified accountants, tracking resources, not just money. So if you stay on a PM track, you don't need a masters in engineering.

In the oil and gas industry, not one person I met knew what a PMP was, I gave up my PMP because all I did was find was to get hours and pay the annual fee.

I have both a masters degree (MBA) and a PMP.

I attained the MBA first. It gave me a broader understanding of the business world.

Preparing for the PMP taught me how to tactically implement.

A few words of advice:
1. Do not try to achieve both the CAPM and the masters degree at the same time. That would be suicide!
2. Decide which would be more important to you.
3. Part of deciding which would be more important would be to decide which would provide the greater return (increase in salary).
4. To be honest, I still do not see much value being placed on the CAPM certification within the job market. There is still value in having the PMP certification.

Final thought: If you were to work on your masters degree first, by the time you are done with that, perhaps you would have enough project management experience to set for the PMP exam??

Hope this helps,
J Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back