Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

capture picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatz

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2003
US
I'm fairly new to SolidWorks and have had questions regarding sketch entities. I sometimes like to send them off to another helpful person so that they can see what I'm talking about.
I want to capture a picture only of a pending sketch without having to exit the sketch....which is what SW wants you to do if trying to save as a jpg file.
I dont want or need the feature tree or toolbars to show up either, so how can I get a *jpg, or other pic, short of using Windows PrintScreen function and cropping out the extraneous portions ?

Thanx, Gatz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used a product called SnagIt in the past. I seem to remember that it's recently gotten much better, which is not to say that it was a bad product when I used it.

I believe you can download a demo version of it if you'd like to try it out.

your gonna have to use printscreen and crop. I use Irfanview to do this fast. Free and excelent

Otherwise, exit the sketch change its color to blue so it looks active, dimension it, and save as jpg.

I'd choose the first option.

I do the same rfus...works great.

Adam
Solidworks 2005 SP01.1
Windows 2000

You can print to PDF; This will give you the result you a looking for if PDF file is OK. You don't have to rebuild the model or crop image.

Windows PrtScn key
Shortcut to Microsoft Paint
Ctrl-C to copy
drag a box around the area you want
Ctrl-C
Ctrl-N (new paint image)
Ctrl-V (paste)

Much easier done than said, and you have a pretty decent assortment of file types to save to.

you can use print screen then paste it onto a word doc. If you want you can then convert it to PDF and select the area you want and then repeat the word-pdf step with the new drawing.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I've downloaded Grabzilla and am going to try it out.

btw, Michael, if you print to a PDF, do you have to have the Adobe program? I only have a reader.
Gatz

You do not need an Adobe program to print to a PDF printer.

You will need a PDF creation utility though. If you have the PDF function in SW, you should be able to print to the "Bluebeam PDF printer".

Other free programs can be found at;

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back