Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car body modelling software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richdrake

Chemical
Aug 21, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am looking to find some kind of software where I can replicate a car body shape and apply different colour schemes to that body, so I can see how they look in racing colours and trim.

I'm not looking to design the shape of the body, more use a default shape to get a look and feel for the colour scheme.

Does anyone have any idea if this is available or where I might find more information.

Your help is much appreciated,

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe what you would need is a CAD software.
To model a car from scratch, surface modeling software like Rhino ( or PTC CDRSi2000 ( would be nice.

As for rendering the model, Rhino works very well with Flamingo to render very photorealistic pictures of it.

If you have the model in perhaps as in formats such as .iges, you could also import them into more popular CAD software like Solidworks or Unigraphics... etc and render them with their compatible rendering tools (e.g. Photoworks)

I better to use Alias or Rhino3D softwares ....as they not only read iges formats ....but also have a far larger choice of rendering option , as opposed to other 3D softwares like Pro-e or solid works which are no way near to the alias/rhino softwares when it comes to rendering.
Also one more easy option is having the photo in jpeg file and try them in Photoshop,which will be the easiest but not the most accurate way.

As your end requirement is for visual purposes only then i'd suggest a rendering/animation system along the lines of 3DS Max, Maya or Lightwave.

They all have the abilities to polygonal model which I believe will have the shortest learning curve for you and once you have the shape you desire then the colouring, texturing and rendering is more powerful than most Eningeering type CAD systems.

You will also find many websites with free downloads of previously modelled and textured vehicles which will be good reference or may be even the same base vehicle that you are starting with.

I believe that you can get learning editions of both Maya and 3DS Max for free (although check any restrictions of functionality) and both come with excellant tutorials or the beginner. Once again more advanced tutorials can often be located on the net.

My personal system of choice would be 3DS Max, but that's because I'm familiar with it. In experienced hands I'm sure Maya is just as capable.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back