Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car shed, Roof uplift 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

S275

Structural
Mar 26, 2011
BH
Hi,
For car sheds similar to these:

There is possibility of having the wind load acting on the underside of the roof, causing uplift force.

I found this pdf file that contains some helpful information,

I use BS and I didn't find any requirements for such case.

I need your opinions/help on these points:
1)Is there any specific requirements in any code/ standard you know?

2)What would be the suitable percentage of blowing wind to be considered as uplift force?

3)Any suggestions regarding the load cases and combinations?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I apologize in advance but I don't know anything about the British standards - but in the US, the document - ASCE 7 - is the source of loads for buildings. It does have open structure uplift values that you can calculate. I would think the British standards would have something similar.

Also - the wind uplift is treated in our load combinations as just part of the wind contribution.

Thanks JAE

Referring back to EN 1991-1-4:2005, I found that they are addressing the free-standing canopies.

However, they are only providing the pressure coefficients for "monopitch" and "duopitch" but for curved roof they include it only for enclosed structures.

I think I will have to adopt the values of "duopitch canopies" for the case of curved roof???

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back