Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon Dioxide corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxCarb

Mechanical
May 1, 2008
IT
I'm looking for a coating system for an internal epoxy lining of some carbon steel vessels.
The stream is wet natural gas with the presenze of carbon dioxide with a partial pressure under 11 psia.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Barking up the wrong tree;- ask your paint supplier and make sure he will guarantee the recommended paint system. If feasible, get several offers.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

My paint supplier gave me some coating systems.
In every case, using dewaard-milliams model, i calculated the approximate corrosion rate and i don't think i'll have many problems. Also because i think that this model is very conservative.

I used dewaard-milliams corrosion model in order to understand if the corrosion rate can cause problems with my process conditions.
In every case my paint supplier gave me a lining system for the co2, in wet stream corrosion attack.

When i took in consideration the corrosion due to the presence of co2 in a wet stream, i was not worry because the partial pressure of co2 was inside the interval[7psi,14psi],in which "weak corrosion could occur" .And also i have 10 psi only in a KO drum and the stream is wet only when the dehydration unit is in shut-down (a very exceptional case!!!).
Taking in consideration the last case, my owner ask me to change material. Upgrading the material in my case means using SS instead CS. For avoiding this upgrade, i was looking for a epoxy coating system for a carbon dioxide corrosion in a wet system.
The use of dewaard-milliams system is only to understand if, using 3mm of corrosion allowance with CS, 20 years of lifetime of the plant could be granted. But of course, it was only an "academic" attempt, because firts of all it's everywhere underlined that this model is very conservative and then i was taking in consideration the worst case (dehydration unit in shut-down and the plant still in operation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back