Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon/epoxy with Ti-Ni: Galvanic Corrosion? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plvachon

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2005
CA
Hello everyone,

I am currently designing a structure made of carbon fiber composite plates (the resin is epoxy) incorporating some Ti-Ni inserts. Ti-Ni is a shape memory alloy. I am wondering if there could be a galvanic corrosion problem with this design (carbon with Ti-Ni). The structure is intended to be used in aircrafts. It would be appreciated if someone could give me some hints, or indicate a trustable web site that could help.

Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Galvanic corrosion is a possibility. How would the inserts be inserted? Some type of wet assembly using an epoxy resin would isolate the Ni-Ti from the CFRP composite and thereby minimize the chance of corrosion. Corrosion inhibitors (polysulfide sealants or similar) may also be a possibility. A targeted google search would probably find some useful references. Two general references are the following:

MIL-HDBK-729 CORROSION & CORROSION PREVENTION METALS

MIL-HDBK-1568 Material and Processes for Corrosion Prevention and Control in Aerospace Weapons Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back