Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon fiber / FRP rolling table design

Status
Not open for further replies.

estabon

Materials
Jan 24, 2010
US
youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=N1TcouAIZ84
See 4:10 minutes into video
Title: Rod Making
This is a link to a graphite fishing rod fabricator and at 4 minutes and 10 seconds a demonstration of what is refered to as a rolling table used in frp and carbon fiber layup work
It retails for around $37,000 It allows fabricators apply uniform pressure while rolling the hand cut fiber cloth or "flags around mandrels. This allows fabricators to purchase carbon fiber "rolls" vs "sock cloth" at gargantuan savings in cost ( they've got to pay for the rolling table somehow!)

I have a host of pneumatic cylinders from plastic injection machines as well as an 18" x5" x8' c channell steel beam ( one table or platen ). I am considering getting a heavy built pin router and gutting it to use as a chasis or frame. Any thoughts on designing and constructing a machine like this?

Thanks for any insight !
Estabon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your likns do not work.

There are many possible designs for rolling tables. The platens do not have to be highly precise or flat. The surfaces actually need to be somewhat compliant to conform to the mandrel between the platens. A warm table can be very useful. To accommodate tapered mandrels the top platen must tilt and swivel.

Fireworks are made on rolling tables where the top platen is weighted plywood suspended by a cable at each corner so it can swing back and forth.

Thanks, I will trouble shooting the link but it's a YouTube video on rod making at 1:00 min not 4: ......suspended plywood ...clever! Any histories on impregnators also links for used frp shop machinery equipment and machinery ? Thanks again for the prompt response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back