Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamtheengineer

Electrical
Dec 23, 2011
CA
How can I make a mold for a carbon fiber reinforced polymer and what material can it be made out of? Also, what all do I need to make ths mold?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to give us a clue about what sort of object you want to make _from_ the cfrp before we could reasonably recommend any sort of mold construction.

If you're considering Yet Another Cold Air Intake Tube, Google can probably find at least hundreds of project reports with complete details.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

No I actually am not. I did see ALOT of those, but they couldn't quite help. I am looking to probably make either u channel or a square tubing style as for the arm of a robot. Basically any big parts on a robot that would normally be metal would now be carbon fiber. I'm not sure on the task we have for this competition (FIRST Robotics Competition) because we do not know until the January 7th kickoff. But, more than likely it will be as I said, U channel, L channel, square tubing, and even smaller electronics holder (probably fiberglass).

Need any more info? Sorry but I'm very new to this :/ I'm actually just starting as a freshman electrical engineer this year in pursuit of my law degree.

Actually, I think cold air tubes would be topologically similar enough to robot arms that you could learn a bit by building a few.

Since carbon fiber is expensive, I suggest you get _really_ good at making parts from epoxy and glass fiber before cutting any carbon fiber.

The simplest way to build a part like that involves first building a mandrel, which is a mold for the inside. The trick is that the mandrel has to be collapsible or meltable or otherwise removable from the finished article. Then you wrap the mandrel in strips of fiber cloth dipped in resin. Then you wrap the resin with plastic tape or Saran. When the resin has cured, the tape will peel off. Beware of sharp icicles where the tape was wrinkled; you will have to sand the part.

Channels are harder to make and not as stiff; don't bother with them.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The quick and dirty way to make a carbon fiber tube is to wrap the resin and carbon fiber around an aluminum tube.
Then burn the aluminum out with caustic soda when the resin has cured.

I am presuming that you are working as an electrical enginerr while studying law because as you know student posting is not allowed.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back