Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

carbon fiber tubing 1000f+? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

recycleyourpets

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2010
US
the only thing i can find is using a polyimide matrix of rp46 but can't find any manufacturers... it is for a a sleeve going around automatic rifles.
would polyimide resin be the best route to go for high temp?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't recommend any polymer resins but with temperatures that high it may be beneficial to look into ceramic composites. Those definitely will meet temperature constraints but of course there's an number of other drawbacks, such as toughness or ease of manufacture.

The highest dry Tg I've got is for Cytec's Avimid N at 410°C/770°F. It also has the highest wet Tg at 375°C/707°F. (
For 1000°F you'll want something like titanium matrix (1000°F is a bit too high for Al matrix) or, as bellx1 says, ceramic matrix (carbon-carbon might be almost affordable, as it's used in almost-reasonable quantities). You can only have intermittant exposure of carbon to that sort of temperature in air. 300°C/570°F is the usual upper limit, and even there it'll lose a significant fraction of it's mass in a day's exposure.

If you do get a bit of polyimide in make sure it's not PMR-15 or anything else with MDA in it (methylenedianiline, carcinogen).

PI may well need a cure temperature of ~650°F and a pressure of 200 psi.

You could try contacting but mostly they seem to do Al- or Mg-matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back