Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Carbon Graphite' Processing..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velidand

Materials
Mar 1, 2005
US
I've been lookin around to find the differences in Graphite and 'Carbon Graphite'.. the way carbon graphite is processed and its properties; but cud find none... can anybody pls help me in this!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are referring to carbon fibre as compared to graphite fibre the difference is the amount of graphite compared to carbon. All carbon fibre contains graphite. If I recall correctly, around 90%. Graphite fibre is close to 100% graphite. It is much more expensive than carbon fibre.

Carbon fibre is totally different from carbon-graphite. They are two different commercially available products. As far as my knowledge goes, it is possible to combine Carbon and Graphite in their amorphous forms; which helps in coming up with a new material having combined properties of both. I could find a wesite ( ) that talks about the carbon-graphite material. But I'm looking for more detailed info on this!!
Thanks for your reply rnd2.. hope to see more from all you guys.

It is not possible to chemically combine carbon and graphite.
There is amorphous carbon and graphite. Both are allotropes of carbon and have very different physical properties but the same chemical properties.
When "combined" they form a bonded composite material, not a new chemical compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back