Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Advice on Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackkingsford32

Geotechnical
Jun 17, 2013
NL
Hi! I’m actually looking for a school in Sydney that offers a course in civil engineering because I don’t know where to enrol in such course. I’m thinking if I should enrol in Swinburne University of Technology or if I should enrol in University of Wallongong.
I want to be a successful geotechnical engineer someday which is why I want to make sure I am enrolling in the best school. I believe that for one to be hired by a company, he must graduate from a reputable school. So any tips about the best school to enrol in? It will also be great if you can suggest a better school or university.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously, that's what most people think, but at the end of the day, a degree from Caltech or a degree from Cal State Fullerton is only distinguished by what the person does with the degree. Don't get hung up on the "Best" label, look to other things as well, such as ease of getting solid internships, etc. My son goes to a state school, albeit, the "best" in the state, but his first job will most likely also hinge on the fact that he's gotten incredible internships and incredible work experience (not McDonalds). Internships and relevant work experience may actually weigh more for some interviewers, since they'll know that you aren't starting from scratch, and you have some level of knowledge about what you ought to be doing on a job. My college summer job ultimately led to my first job as well.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Can you check out each school in their WEB site or publications? Then see what the experience of each professor in your intended field may possess. Read their publications or papers. Then, associating with that professor may well put you into situations of some advantage. In the States, some say that U of Ill is good that way due to the prominence of some faculty. I didn't go there, but the grads seem to have done well, especially with advanced degrees. It's the individual profs that count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back