Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career advice 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade2blue

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2002
I graduated in 06 with a BS in Mech. Eng. I was unable to land an engineering job out or school and have been working a production line job to get by. While at school I was intensely involved in our FSAE program to the detriment of my GPA(2.5). The problem I have now is finding a job in or related to engineering. While working on the team I was responsible for suspension design (dynamic, structural, manufacturing) system integration and packaging, and improving overall design documentation including component modeling. I realize a career in automotive design is not obtainable with my credentials but I desperately need to move forward. I am looking for drafting positions to get in the door with no luck. Are there any specific fields that non genius engineers can find work in?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yup, as you suggest many grads start work as CAD operators. I'd apply to a Tier one supplier in CAD, move over to engineering, and then hope to hop across to a similar job for an OEM. Your GPA really only matters for your first job.

Statement of the obvious: find out what CAD system your chosen employer uses.

However if you were as good as you say you were at FSAE I would apply to OEMs direct.

If you can run ADAMS, and understand the output, then you should consider doing that in the short term, it is far more lucrative than CAD.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Doing the above as a contractor will move you into positiion even faster.

Don't turn your nose up to tier 2 or tier 3 work. You will likely get to do more actual design than your tier 1 friends. Just make sure you're working in an ISO or QS certified company.

As I have previously posted in other blogs my philosophy on this is the following: "You don't have to get paid to do what you really love". If you don't have a job in the field you like it doesn't mean you have to abandon it! I ran into a similar situation and continued developing my skills after college working on small hobby-type projects that to me were really fun. Evenatually it paid off and now I work in the field I had always wanted. To this date I continue to involve myself in engineering projects outside of work to compliment what I do at the office. Try this, it has worked wonders for me!

thanks for the advice. Would getting an 2 year degree in drafting be useful or would a training certificate be sufficient?

Does your college still send you emails about jobs fairs. YOu could try attending one.
Also which field do you wish to go into, sometimes you might need to change locations to move up?

I have the FSAE chassis team captain from my alma mater starting for me in June doing piping engineering. The difference between this guy and you is that he hasn't worked in non-related jobs for 2 years. Still, you don't have to give up on finding an engineering job quite yet!

I am sure you're competent, but I would be nervous to hire you as a "cold" resume coming across my desk. However, if I knew you personally or someone recommended you, I might give you a chance. Try to make contact with some managers at companies you might be interested in and build a relationship with them. Power is a pretty hot field now. Oil & gas, too. But, I think meeting people and getting a foot in the door is more important than finding a hot industry. I work with a guy who called my boss on and off for FOUR years until he got a job with our company. Job hunting really is about who you know. I have another guy starting Monday who is not even a degreed engineer, but did automotive design for 15 years before getting downsized. Another engineer here recommended him, and we're giving him a chance. I even once interviewed a woman whose daughter was the dental hygenist of a project manager with my company, so just getting out there and telling people you're looking for a job can be very important.

Of course, taking some CAD classes or even grad level engineering classes to update your skills is a great idea, too. When you go to an interview and tell people you want to be an engineer, but can't point to anything tangible you have done in the past two years to work towards that goal, it's a strike against you. It's just like if I go to my boss and say I should be promoted and all I've done was maintain the status quo for two years. I have to give him a reason to promote me.

Good luck - Don't underestimate yourself & don't give up!

Drafting may help, if you can start off with the cert and then go for degree that may be better. I'm not sure how much a 2 year degree would help if you already have a BS. That said most of the Engineers around here don't have a clue about drafting, even though they have to do most of their own.

In some areas of industry Engineers don't do most detail drafting, this is done by designers/drafters with lower pay etc. Some people even with BS may get pigeon holed in the designer role, and some engineers look down on this. However, if the idea is just to get you in the door it may work.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

You may want to go to graduate school if this is an option. This would negate the break in Enginering of almost two years. Why go deeper into drafting? You are probably making more on the assembly line. Many drafting jobs are very low wage. I would refocus on getting back into an engineering job, any size company that would give you a first job. You may have to relocate to get that first job. If you are in the auto belt you may have to leave due to the economy. If you are interested in auto or racing look at racing products suppliers/manufacturers. They need engineers too. Don't let this gap go on too much longer. It will get harder to find any employer who will overlook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back