Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagatalluri

Geotechnical
Jul 19, 2010
US
Hello Group:

I am doing PhD in geotechnical engineering. I am from Texas. I am about to graduate this summer. I have few questions regarding the job search. How early Do I start my job search If I am graduating in August,2013. Also, please advice me which is the best way to do job search through ASCE ? or any other job sites or job agents.

Thanks
NT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congradulations on your degree and being ready to start your next phase.

Now is not too early to start looking. For geotechnical firms, I would recommend ASFE instead of ASCE. More focused for your degree. Talk with your professors, many firms talk with profs about who is graduating and look for recommendations on who to interview. We rarely, if ever, use job sites or agents.

I would first focus on the kind of job you want. Do you want to work for a consulting firm or teach? Then determine a part of the country you want to live in. Next start contacting firms with offices in that area. This is where ASFE can help you find consulting firms to talk to. Many firms will be interested in talking with you even if they don't have ads out. Phd's only come around so often and it all depends on your specific skill set and what skills the firm is looking to add, replace or improve.

Once you digest this, I expect you will have other questions.

Mike Lambert

Mike:
Thanks for your input. I want to work for a consulting firm. I do not have any area preference (which part of United States) per se since this is my first job in United States. Though my research area is chemical stabilization of soils, I am good with laboratory soil testing. In my previous job I did foundation, retaining wall design and slope stability analysis of thermal power plant structures.

With no area of preference, you are going to have a lot of potential choices. I would start with your advisor, then ASFE, research their web sites, see who looks interesting, then pick a dozen or so to contact. Make sure you have good resume prepared, and by good, I mean it should cover all your work experience, your research, references, and be in good english. Make sure you have at least a couple of other people read it and provide comments. If your advisor is not one of your references, it will likely raise questions.

Mike Lambert

Consider LinkedIn, you would be surprised how many recruiters use that social network. Make sure you have geotechnical engineering as your labeled expertise or profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back