Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career guidance! Graduate Certificates.. Masters..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneakers

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2005
US
I am a full time working professional (Sr. CAD Designer). I have a BS Industrial and Management Engineering and am about to complete a Graduate Certificate (GC) in Plastics Engineering (elastomeric materials). A GC is 4 courses.

In an effort to diversify my experience/resume, and also out of personal interest, I am now considering taking some business/management courses. A part time MBA would likely take 6 or 7 years, I am not seriously considering this at the moment. I am however considering a Masters in Engineering Management MSEM (~$23,000 total cost) which is most appealing because I would complete in 2 years part time. I am also considering a Graduate Certificate Advanced Study Management (this would be, choose 4 courses from the MBA program). This GC would be paid for by my company (very appealing).

What is the general feeling on a Graduate Certificate? Are they common? Would two GC's look bad? Of course a MSEM would look better on a resume, but it would also cost me $23,000, and the workload would be at a grueling pace. Would an MSEM limit my future career options in any way?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I appreciate any feedback you provide.

-Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that multiple GC's offer diminishing returns in terms of status. That isn't to say that you won't gain anything from having another GC, but it won't be as big of a "salary raiser" as your first graduate certificate.

Personal life aside, an MSEM would probably be a good investment (with regards to money only) if management work is what you truly want to be doing. I think too many engineers get lured to management by the increased salary and are ultimately unhappy with their jobs.

Of course the decision whether to invest the time and money required for a MSEM should also take into account personal factors, such as reduced time for friends, family, hobbies, volunteering, etc.

Reidh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back