Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career in MEP consulting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I am an EE currently working with a small MEP (Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing) firm, and have been with them for about 18 months (fresh out of college). It is not at all what I expected to do when I was in college. Now however, I somewhat enjoy the work, though I think it is not very challenging. I do enjoy interacting with people, something that exists in consulting much more than in most engineering work. I also really like the company I am with, their ethics are top notch, something that is very rare.

However, I'm wondering where this type of work will take me in 10 or 20 years. Am I going to hit a salary ceiling in 5yrs due to the fact that profits are tied directly to our billing rate? Would I basically be stuck there until I became an owner (that is probably 15yrs away).

Who else has experience in this type work? I would love to hear any opinions. I feel like I need to make some kind of decision soon, as my circuit/electronics skills are going to fade away over the next couple of years, and I will be doing MEP/power distribution type work the rest of my life (not sure if that is bad or not).

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't enjoy the work now, you will not later on either. My career has been in product design for most of my career and recently went into power generation and distribution. Right now, I have to say that product design is way more interesting (that might change but I doubt it). But that will depend on the individual. If you stay in where you are at now, you will be able to get your PE quicker (assume they have PE's there now) because of the references and in all honestly, will likely make more money in the arena your in now rather than product design. However, both experiences will allow you to start your own company whether its consulting or product design.

I am extremely happy with having both experiences as it has enlightened me to know exactly what I want to do. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back