Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career switch from electronics test engineer to control engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodh80

Electrical
Jul 19, 2009
MY
Hi all,I had been working as a CPU validation\test engineer for 5 years in Intel. Below are my skillsets:
1) Strong background in PC system architecture and experience in hardware-software interfacing.
2) Good grasp on Processor Architecture, Integrated Graphics Architecture and x86 instruction sets.
3) In depth knowledge of validation/test concepts mainly post-silicon hardware validation, execution and debug methodology.
4) Excellent problem solving skills in finding and resolving silicon and platform failures.
5) Strong software development skills in the Windows and Linux environment.
6) Proficiency in programming with x86 assembly language, C, C++, C#, HTML, Perl and Python scripting languages.
7) Familiarity with debug tools such as Oscilloscopes, Tektronix Logic Analyzers and JTAG tools.
8) Ability to perform root cause analysis on hardware and software failures at the Operating System (OS), Basic Input Output System (BIOS) and drivers.
9) Demonstrated ability to make solid technical decisions consistent with the project goals and schedule.
10) Ability to define, conduct DOE (Design of Experiment) and propose recommendations (critical thinking) based on data collection.
11) Experience in utilizing and automating CPU and graphics benchmarking tests (commercial content) for validation.
12) Experience in automating custom and commercial content for execution phase.

Currently, I am thinking of a career switch as it is not the field that I am interested in. I am wondering how to switch to automation\control engineering field with lesser impact on my salary. I am thinking of utilizing the experience that I already have as a test engineer in control engineering field. Is that possible? Which career path within control engineering will suit me with the experience that I have at the moment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of control engineering do you want to do? You may be able to use your programming skills for embedded control or motion control, but hardly any of what you list is applicable to process control. I'd say you would basically be starting over at an entry-level position no matter what subspecialty within controls you enter. With experience managing projects, you might advance faster than a recent college graduate, but be prepared to be entry-level for a while. That is likely to result in a significant loss of salary, something you stated you'd like to avoid.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back