Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

carlson file types

Status
Not open for further replies.

destnw

Civil/Environmental
Apr 21, 2006
US
I am very new to doing take-offs for mostly residential subdivisions. We just purchaced Carlson take off. I was wondering what typ of files I should be asking for when talking to the engenier. I currently have a DWG. file, but when I insert the drawing the contour lines disapear.And when I try to elevate to 3d I keep gettin a " not text Mtext" message when I "select text". I would apreaciate any help or suggestions of resorses to be use in teaching myself Carlson takeoff.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been using Carlson Takeoff for 6 months. I have no CAD experience. Ask for the grading sheet or sheets files.Be clear you want Topo, Annotaion and proposed linewok. It takes a while to get perfect file. Next check the exref manager under the file menu. Import or delete any files listed. Run drawing clean-up on everything except topo to get rid of duplicate linework and bring entities to poly lines. Bringing pads to elevation is very easy with some planing. Rename the pad elevation, if pads are in more than one hundred group, give them different names. Add grips at GB for elevating curb. The edit/assign feature is not the fastest but is the most accurate and saves aggravation.Use write blocks to remove or import for unwanted and wanted layer.
Its a steep learning curve but you will never want to digitize again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back