Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cast Iron Bore Press Fit - Sleeve Material Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

beh188

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2009
US
I have a cast iron bore (4.5" diam.) into which I would like to press fit a sleeve. I am calculating the contact pressure for such a fit and trying to tailor my sleeve thickness and sleeve material selection. Can anyone recommend a good sleeve material? I would like the fit to be a relatively light press fit, therefore the press fit length would be short (0.125"?). The Overall sleeve length is about 1".

Any suggestions on this application would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The material selection of the sleeve should be made with regard to the service requirements. Why is the sleeve necessary? Are you trying to achieve wear resistance, chemical resistance, or component replaceability? What are the temperature requirements? Will this have to be replaced in the field? All of these things need to be considered plus many that I have likely omitted. If you give a better indication of what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps I can be of more assistance.

You're talking about an interference of 0.0002/0.0006 inch between ball and shaft. Not sure is you are press fitting dry or lubricated, you could be shrinking onto the shaft also. Couple of options that muck up the mathematics. I would be thinking in terms of 4.5000/4.4998 inch on the shaft, 4.4994/4.4996 inch on the hub. Sleeve material, something hard like AISI 4140/4130 HRc 28-32 or AISI 4145 H Mod.

Regards,
Cockroach

Thank you for the input. Additional details of the application are an operation temperature of 20 to 200 Deg. F. The sleeve to be pressed into the bore is intended to retain sealing components. Therefore, the sleeve needs to be replaceable. Installation would be lubricated.

I would use a non-galling, wear resistant material such as D2 tool steel or similar. The benefit to this type of material would be that you could burn it out later with a torch, if required, ease of machining compared to an austenitic stainless steel, and closer coefficients of thermal expansion.

what are you "sealing?"
1000s of psi hydraulics?
A stationary O-ring"
Rotating seal?
Lip seal OD?
Is the sleeve going to be mechanically retained axially with a cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back