Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cast Iron Repair Qualification Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanweld99

Nuclear
May 2, 2013
CA
Please advise what standard/Code should be followed for Cast Iron Repair welding procedure qualification?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually, I didn't know it could be done to any great extent.
Googling around, I find this:
"ISO 15614 consists of the following parts, under the general title Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials — Welding procedure test:
"— Part 1: Arc and gas welding of steels and arc welding of nickel and nickel alloys
"— Part 2: Arc welding of aluminium and its alloys
"— Part 3: Fusion welding of non-alloyed and low-alloyed cast irons..."

There's a section of ASME Section VIII that deals with cast iron, and I see that the cast iron materials required by that section are not included in the base metal tables in Section IX, so that doesn't look promising.

Probably doesn't really answer your question the way you want, but AWS has a guide for welding cast iron, but it's not a code. AWS D11.2.

And I don't have one handy at the moment, but have you checked any of the ASTM material specification on cast irons? The ASTM material specifications for cast steels have repair qualification requirements- they refer to ASTM A488. Perhaps the cast iron ASTM specs have a similar reference?

Now I could be wrong about cast Iron not be a weldable metal as it has been in past years, to my understanding at least, that cast iron could only be brazed.

Cast iron can be welded using an oxy-acetylene torch and cast iron rod (it is actually cast iron cast into "sticks". I've completed several cast iron repairs, but in each cast the entire part was preheated to a very high temperature and slow cooling ensured by burying the completed weldment in a charcoal fire that burned itself out overnight and cooled as the fire burned itself out.

As is the case with people, one shoe size doesn't fit all. Different cast irons have different properties by design. The repair I described would be fine for chilled cast iron, but the resulting properties wouldn't be the same as a chilled cast iron. The same is true with a repair made on ductile iron, the weld would revert back to a plain cast iron with the same brittle nature. It wouldn't have the ductility of the original ductile iron.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back