Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cast Vessel to ASME Div I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angsi

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2003
MY
Co. plans to purchase a cast stainless steel vessel (a cyclone separator, Kelburn). This vessel will be designed to ASME Div I.

Has anyone the experience purchasing cast stainless steel vessel? Besides its inferior nozzle loading issues, are there anything else I need to lookout for compared to a conventional fabricated vessel?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the grade (type) of stainless steel casting and service conditions, you may want to consider supplemental testing requirements to assure adequate toughness and corrosion resistance. Many things can go wrong during fabrication.

What is the grade of stainless and what is the service condition?

It should be according to construction code and the manufacturer may perform some NDT. CF8M is 316 that you can't weld to if it's not stabilized.

Yes, as a minimum, I would include the following supplementary requirements out of SA-352 and reference SA-703, which are general requirements for Steel Castings for Pressure-Containing Parts;

SA-352
S5. RT
S6. PT
S11.1 PWHT in the event any weld repairs are necessary.

SA-703;
S21 Heat Treatment record
S24.1-3 Specified Ferrite content range
S28.1 - Cleaning of Stainless Steels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back