Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Castable Polyurethane

Status
Not open for further replies.

smjmitchell

Jun 6, 2002
AU
Hello,

I have a requirement to design a polyurethane wheel for an industrial application - imagine something similar to a skateboard wheel. The wheel is to be cast in a steel mould.

Can anyone tell me what materials are most commonly used for wheels of this type.

I repeatedly find references to "Dupont MDI high rebound polyurethane" being used in various hardnesses (Duro 60-100) for skateboard wheels. However I cannot find any such material on the Dupont website and are thinking that this must be sold under a proprietary product name. As Dupond is a huge company I don't know where to start with them so though that I would ask here if anyone can tell me what materials are commonly used.

Prototype wheels have been made using Erapol CC80A but there are issues with air retention in the mixture / pot life etc and I am looking for a different material that is more widely used by manufacturers of these types of wheels. All skateboard manufacturers say that Dupont produce the best material this this application hence my interest in their products.

Thanks,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back