Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

casting alloy for nitriding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pparent

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2004
US
We are looking to change our existing alloys for investment casting from 431 stainless steel to 4130 or 17-4 ph. We then saltbath nitride the parts. We want to reach a Rc of around 30-34 Rc to prevent the parts to become too brittle but keep a good wear characteristic.

Which alloy would be the best choice and why?

thanks

p

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either of your materials will SBN with ease.
SBN or salt bath carbo-nitriding of 17/4 will give you one of the best easily wear surfaces there is. If you use a process like QPQ (Quench Polish Quench) it will enhance most of the properties of either over just QP (Quench Polish).

I would go with the 17/4 as it has been my work horse as far as wearing and galling. I have a sleeve and barrel made from 17/4 and Nitronic 60 that have run over thirty year in split case horizontal injection pump for a waste injection well. I haven't used much SBN 4130. We used a lot of 4130/4140 parts that are gas nitrided in some very severe services with good results.
A word of caution 17/4 doesn't gas nitride very well.

If you could describe your application it will help someone give you a better answer.
It would be nice to know what you are running against.

Here is a pretty good paper on the SBN process.

Forgot to add neither material will be brittle as this process is surface phenomena. The core is unaffected if you temper the 4130 at least at 1000F and the 17/4 at H1150.

As unclesyd mentioned, both can be surface hardened using salt bath nitriding. 4130/4140 is frequently nitrided as is 17-4 PH, so it probably comes down to what strength do you want and how much will it cost. 30-34 HRC will be no problem for either alloy. 17-4PH will cost several times what 4130 does.

and how much corrosion resistance you are looking for. the 17-4 will be similar to your 431, the other is a steel.

If you sue the 17-4 you need to integrate the SBN and the aging treatment. You don't want to use 17-4 that has not been properly heat treated and aged.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back