Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

casting iron with thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ductmate

Chemical
Mar 6, 2003
US
I'm working on a project that involves making a casting of a prototype of a beam clamp. I have some machinable casting material, but that won't make a prototype I can test. I don't have access to a forge or foundry, but I can make Thermite.

Does anyone have any techniques or ideas on how I can cast the pieces using Thermite? Any specific type of casting sand to use?

Vince

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At one point in history, thermite was used to weld-in-place railroad rails, among other things. I don't think you would have much process control or metallurgical control over the finished part. Once you light the starting mix, and the thermite ignites, it's basically out of your hands. You're much better off having a foundry do the work. But it is fun stuff to play with, I'll admit that!!!

next time your in the electrical parts store check into "cap welds" they arte used to make electrical bonds to the grounding grids in computer rooms....

It's actually classified as an incindiary, and no permits are required. You might raise a few eyebrows if you order more than a pound or two, because it is also used in demolition to cut structural steel sections (much safer than HE).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back