Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATA V5: Convert IGES Surface Model into Solid Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDev

Feb 1, 2015
GB
Hi Guys,
Apologies in advance if I have not started this thread correctly or if my questions may seem a bit daft but I am new to this forum stuff.
Basically, I read the articles in thread560-166187 but I am still having issues.

I am using Catia V5.18 Sp 4, Build 18.
My model supplier creates a model as a closed volume. When I import the IGES file, it imports a selection of surfaces (upwards of 3000 surfaces). The IGES is imported in as a Partbody. In the Generative Shape Design tree I can create a Join, then Heal it and also Close the surface. However, I can not seem to be able to change the part into a solid. Each time I try to create a section, the function does not seem to do anything.
I have also tried all the steps such as create thickenss etc. The fact that the Close worked ok, am I safe in assuming that the volume is closed correctly. The supplier test of the model (when it comes out of Rhino/3DMax) is that it is a fully closed volume.

As another test, when I import a STP file as an alternative method, it imports it is as a document. I am unable to do any sort of Close, Heal or Join operation on this item. The item appears as a series of surfaces similar to the IGES file and I am also unable to do any sectioning.

I have attached 3 images into one to help explain.

I am really struggling with this and any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Bren

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c5776edb-69ac-401a-b167-ad7b8bc53ec7&file=Images.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

first of all check your iges import setting.tools options compatibility iges.check join surfaces of the model.
can you share your model? this will be more helpful than images.

Someone showed be this trick to help identify problems with IGES files that are not closed:

In Tools, Options, Display, and Visualization, turn on the option for Surface Boundaries. This will make any edges a bright green color, highlighting gaps, overlaps, duplicate surfaces, etc. When there are no green edges, the Join surface is ready to close into a solid.

Hi Bren,

I run into bad IGES files a few times a week and here are some ideas:

1. See if there are any duplicate surfaces - if so, delete them. You can hide a suspected duplicate surface and if you still see a surface there, there may be more. Duplicate surfaces will confuse most CAD tools when they are trying to stitch a solid.
2. Test your assumptions - generate your own STEP file from a simple prismatic solid and see how it behaves when you import it; does it see it as a solid, or will it let you convert it to a solid? Can you generate your own IGES, convert to STEP, and import and solidfy that? Because you need to know if your STEP to solid process is viable.
3. Is the surface really watertight? Even if visual inspection looks good, there could be a micro-gap that CATIA is seeing as an opening. You may need to run a repair on the model. There are many repair tools out there to test this idea. TransMagic lets you do a lite repair and a full repair and the eval is free.

4a. The supplier claims that the model is an enclosed volume, but I think you have reason to doubt that. Note on 3ds Max models, as concerns IGES: If there are modifiers applied to surfaces in your scene, it's best to collapse the stack before exporting to IGES. When 3ds Max exports to an IGES file, it skips any surface that has any modifiers applied.
4b. You can get your hands on a free 30 day trial of 3ds Max if you want to see what the model looks like in Max yourself. Just google 3ds Max free trial.
5. Finally, what is your goal with this file - ie, what do you want to do with it in CATIA? It may be that you are wasting your time and should be using another solution.

Good luck, and please let us know if you solved the issue!

/Brad Strong

11859 Pecos Street
Suite 310

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for all the ideas and recommendations. It is much appreciated, however I am still struggling.

Tikito, I checked that option and it brought in the model to a similar standard as normal import (after joining etc.) Unfortunately, I cant share the models due to confidentiality agreements with my clients.
Iscariot, unfortunately the model surface is far too complex and 3D to be able to recreate the surfaces.
DBezaire and Jackk, the model checked out as showing no gaps etc and when I ran the Create Boundary command, it showed it as being closed.
Brad, there doesn't appear to be any duplicate surfaces etc. We hope to solidify the model to be able to design in pockets, drill holes and design internal features for mounting etc but this isn't possible as surfaces.

In summary, it seems that the model is closed and doesn't have any duplicate surfaces etc but yet wont allow us to section it or do any of the "solid" operations on it.
Any other ideas are gladly welcomed.

EngDev,

If you are in the Part Design module and Insert - Body
Then use the close surface command and select the join. What error message do you get?

Win 7
23SP5/24SP3, 3DVIA Composer 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back