Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Catch Basins in Gravel Parking Lots

Status
Not open for further replies.

cher122976

Civil/Environmental
Mar 16, 2009
US
Does anyone have any experience using catch basins in a gravel parking lot? I have always tried to avoid them due to obvious reason. I think I have seen them used before with a concrete apron around them to avoid dirt and gravel getting in them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not specifically on gravel lots but off roadway conditions all the time. Yes, a concrete apron is used around the perimeter of the inlet. If concern is sediment or gravel ending up in the inlet sump one can provide space at the bottom to collect debris/trash. It will need to be maintained, however.

Cher,
Another component to watch out for is erosion over time. In a recent project I was involved with, I purposely set a localized depression where the inlet is so that water continues to be collected even as the edges erode over time. Even if a concrete apron is used, I would also consider this.

Having at least a two-foot sump below the invert out is a good idea.

Recommend to the owner that they install (something like) gravel bags around the inlet whenever they re-surface the parking lot.

Will there be any snow removal? Depending on their snow operations, this has the potential to greatly increase the rate of gravel transport into the inlet.

It has been over a decade now, howver, I still remember this steel chamber incorporating a spiral path that was installed on a DOT job in Bridgeport,Ct.. As water flowed in, the centrifugal force would separate sediment from the water. Can't recall the name of the type of chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back