Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Catch basins in gravel site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khu

Civil/Environmental
Aug 8, 2019
US
The site is a maintenance yard with multiple buildings, but all the areas around the buildings are gravel (3/4" loose with some fines). The site experiences pretty bad drainage issues with many spots of localized ponding. There's not a way to grade the site to drain to one spot, so we will need to collect at catch basins and convey to ponds.

The owner is concerned with gravel collecting in the catch basins because to empty them out, they are required to test the material being removed prior to disposal. The owner also drags the site a couple of times per year with old tires to smooth out tracks caused by their larger vehicles. What would be the best way to help mitigate gravel/sediment from entering the catch basin and storm system?

I know regular maintenance will be required, but I'm hoping there's a way to help minimize it due to the effort required to simply remove sediment from sumps.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do an internet search for "catch basin insert" and similar terms. I have never used these, but I know people who have.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

the problem is erosion. you need to stabilize the gravel. spray on stabilizer might work for a while on the low traffic areas, otherwise apply more good rock, grade it and compact well to limit the amount of erosion

sediment basin could catch and prevent it from entering the storm drain, but maintenance of the basin would also be required

Underdrains instead of catch basins? (apologies, I'm used to a catch basin being in a gutter and a drop inlet being in an open area, so I'm using catch basin but thinking drop inlet). I'm assuming the water in the low spots drains eventually, it just happens to be a nuisance until it does. You can put perforated drain pipe in the low spots so it will drain faster and solid pipe to convey to the ponds. The underdrain would be unaffected by what happens on the surface.
Need to consider soil percolation rate and size the pipe(s) based on a storm event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back