Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caterpillar Engine Rolling Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookedOnHalo

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2006
CA
I'm reading some technical information on a Caterpillar 3616 engine that says

"Maximum rolling moment/torque: It is the phased summation maximum of all cylinders over one full engine cycle (720 degrees)"
see page 22 of the attached document.

I'm not familiar with the concept of rolling torque or what it means. Can anyone offer any references to understand what a rolling torque is an how it is calculated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Belay that WAG.

I found an A&I guide for 3600 gas engines that gives rolling torques at various speeds for various compression ratios, suggesting that it's calculated using component inertias and gas pressures. Fine, but the same tables include 'maximum torque' numbers ten times bigger, and 'minimum torque' numbers five times bigger.

I don't know what the hell it means. Maybe some CAT expert will drop in and explain it to both of us.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

"Maybe some CAT expert will drop in and explain it to both of us"

He doesn't tend to hang around these parts. Better off moving to the engine and fuel engineering forum.

- Steve

It would probably be better if they had called it "roll torque moment", it is the calculated side to side movement force around the axis of the crankshaft when load is applied and removed. It is used during the design of mounting systems, bases, foundations and siesmic restraints.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

Depends on the mounting system and application, yes, can use it to help figure out bolt size, also base dimension and stiffness for portable equipment, and the like.

Mostly the oil and gas customers are the ones who request this data most frequently.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back