Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catia assembly extreme long load times. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsawye2

Automotive
May 21, 2003
US
need you guys to dust off you IT hats for a second. we are experiencing extremely long assembly load times. i mean assemlbies that normally take around 20 seconds to load, taking around 20 minutes. larger environments that normally take 1-2 minutes taking hours. our IT department has been working on this for four days now but they are not all that familiar with catia. what we do know is that about the time this started happening they had turned off an old domain controller that they thought was no longer needed, which was replaced by a newer one. i'm no IT person and they tell us that they can not just turn it back on, that they've done something to it and thats not an option anymore. we have NX users here also that are not affected by this, and it seems to be only the catia users. we're initial thinking is that somehow catia was going through that controller that no longer exists anymore and its taking a very long time to crunch a work around to find the parts it needs. also, our domain names have changed from /OLD to /GLOBAL (OLD is not the domain name, just put that in there for reference). looking for any thoughts on what we may done to jack our catia up.

one other thing, once the assemblies are up catia works just fine, even saving the data back is fairly quick (normal speed). the only thing that seems to be affected is the load times.

Vern
Catia
Automotive Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1 ==> I would check ALL catia env files for all path defined there.

2 ==> check paths define in tools options General // Documents (look into Other folders or DLNAME definition) and reoder options if required

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

so, we figured out what the problem was and i'm no catia admin so this is what i'm told the problem was.
in short it was a permissions issue. when we switched domain names, IT ran a program called QUEST to move
everything over i'm told and it must have missed some. so everytime we tried to open an assembly in catia
i guess it was searching our global network looking for the old domain and after lengthy searching eventually
found what it was looking for. so apparently they found these remaining old domain names converted them
and updated our permissions on the new /GLOBAL domain and everything is back to normal. i hope that makes
more sense to you than it did to me. thanks for the responses anyways guys. hope this helps someone in the future.

Vern
Catia
Automotive Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back