Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Catia drafting default dimension change

Status
Not open for further replies.

706Jim

Aerospace
May 26, 2003
CA
When our IT department installed the latest student version of Catia V5, they used a default template (I guess). When drafting, system generated dimensions come out in Decimal feet; really annoying. In previous years I was able to rectify this by using a modified ANSI.xml file, but that fix doesn't seem to work any more. Does anyone know how I can change this to decimal inch format?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

better talk with your IT dept.

you need to define an ENVIRONMENT and have drafting standard defined in it. This will ensure that not only you but all other user use the same standard.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

One option is to modify the standard XML but I'm not sure it will work properly. Most of the times the xml is linked to an Environment and modifying it will corrupt the file thus rendering it useless.

The path I'd take is contacting a Catia expert who's familiar with environments and can create the desired software layout and settings in the environment.

We use a custom made launcher where I can change between environments and software versions (R26, R29, R31; custom OEM; etc.). Each has the same company standard but different icons, macros etc.

It's way more complex under the surface so better get a pro to do it.

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm retired from the college using this software and as a result was not consulted during the version change. Our IT department doesn't actually use the software so will just install a default unless directed otherwise. As I mentioned I was able to just change the ANSI xml file to get dimensions in the desired format but this was several years ago.
Was just hopng for a simple fix that I could pass on to the students using Catia for their studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back