Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia Friction Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrkVamsi

Automotive
Mar 15, 2013
US
Hello,

I am presently working on Catia V5 R18 SP4 at work. I need to do a Catia Contact analysis with friction ratio. The analysis works perfectly if friction ratio is disabled. But as soon as i give the friction ratio, it computes the solution and crashes every single time. Can anyone think of the reason or solution to this problem. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

There are three general suggestions I can offer that will hopeful not waste your time.
1. You have gone beyond what the developers have wrote into this application. You or your sysadmin should contact them with the specific error message's & they may be able to send you a patch that resolves this issue.
2. You have gone beyond what your platform can handle. When in intensive use I monitor my task manager's Cpu Usage, Memory, Physical Memory etc. while comparing the ratio's to my system information's Available Physical & Available Virtual Memory.
3. You need to locate your specific session Catia's system log that douments these crashes. Some sites write locally to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\XXXsyslog. Go thru this specifc syslog looking for soft / hard / fatal errors & email the syslog with your notation on the errors to the developers or your local system admin (maybe not). This beginning triangulation of sometimes seemingly innoucous errors might point the developers back to the source code & the real issue.

Good Hunting

More generally, in multi body dynamics simulations, contact statements and friction statements are notoriously unstable mathematically, since they do not differentiate smoothly across x=0 and v=0 respectively.

Therefore you may just have a model with a bad choice of architecture, or you may need to refine settings for the solver, or parameters concerned with the particular friction or contact statement.

I am not familiar with Catia's MBD capabilities, so can't really help much with specifics.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back