Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catia machining capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanglou

Automotive
Jun 30, 2005
US
I am interested in using catia for machining, but am worried that it doesn't have the functionality of things like mastercam and surfcam. what are your thoughts of using catia and which workbenches should I use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't give you any details because I'm not in our NC department but I know it handles just about all of our machining needs. We do all 3-axis machining of steel and aluminum.

--Jay

Stanglou - are you cutting components from other sources (via translated files?(iges,step...) Are you starting out with a catia part file?

Regards,
Derek

I have personally been using Catia for NC machining for the
last 5 years full time both for metallic parts and composite parts. I find it actually has more funtionality than Mastercam and Surfacam based on opinions from friends who use those systems in their jobs. I also drove UG for many years prior and find Catia to be comparable for flexibility and power.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised with Catia in comparison.

Don't you think that there are much more economical choices for 3D machining, than ANY of the above mentioned?

If you already have it, use it. But unless you have some VERY good reason, I think it's a complete waste of money.

You never really defined what you meant by this:

am worried that it doesn't have the functionality of things like mastercam and surfcam.

What functionality are you looking for? Do you actually know what it is that are available in MC and SC that you wish to compare with Catia?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back