Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia Post Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

trueprecisioncnc

Aerospace
Feb 10, 2006
US
Just curious as to how other NC programmers are creating their code. At my shop, we use Catia to post aptsource files and then we run that through P-works to create the NC program in G-code format. This is very innefficient and there are numerous problems associated with it.

For instance, Catia sometimes posts a code "INTOF" in its aptsource files which causes bad NC code in arcs using circular interpolation over 180 degrees. Our programs are a mile long, partly due to Feedrate commands being repeated unnecesarily with each retract, approach, and machining moves and due to having to post entire programs point-to-point since I cannot trust p-works' circular interpolation. (Though I post all 5-axis programs point-to-point anyways, I would use g02,g03 in 3 axis machining)

My question is how are most Catia NC programmers creating their NC codes and does Catia's post work cleanly. I program 5-axis SNK's and various 3 axis machines all using Fanuc controls or aptsource files. Thanks for all opinions.

-Bryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use Intercim as our postprocessor with extremely good luck. We avoid feedrate problems by using a catalog for most of our retract/approach etc... macros. I can't recommend Intercim enough, they are very affordable and are ready to help out with any issue's you may come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back