Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA v4.2 to IGES Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorwald

Aerospace
May 25, 2001
US
Is there a proceedure for converting CATIA v4.2 to IGES or cgr formats? Are there any issues to be careful with?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about CGR but IGES is no problem although I have worked in places where the conversion of solids does not work. You always get volumes even if solid conversion is possible. Here where I work now there are no local IGES licences and we have to using the data transfer system to send models to ourselves as IGES. Its is quicker and easier to read the V4 model into V5 'copy' and 'paste special' 'catia result' and then write directly to igs

CGR is CATIA's Computer Graphics Representation. It is a tessellated (I looked it up and it means "little tiles") representatation that can be used in the Digital Mockup in CATIA's (or ENOVIA's) DMU Navigator. Yes, V4 models will convert to CGRs quite nicely - and it's done automatically for you when you open a Product that contains V4 data (provided you have turned your CACHE on).

Can you explian the steps to output cgr format in more detail. I only have a novice understanding of using CATIA v 4. How do I turn the CACHE on, or check if it is on. When it is on, where does the cgr output go?

Are you talking V4 or V5 because I am not aware you can write V4 models to CGR format. I think Catiajim was suggesting that you can read a V4 model into V5 and then write that out in CGR format. If you have V5 then create a new CATProduct and open your V4 model into it. You can then save it using 'save as' -CGR

Activation of CGR visulation with V5:
Options: Infrastructure/product structure/cache management.

All V5 models will be transformed automatically. This will save a lot of memory ! Very convenient for big assy vizu.

(If somebody know how to extract some geometry(points/curves) from pure cgr models, please let me know)

Either CGR, IGES, or STEP will work. Since CGR is not an option in v4, then IGES or STEP will have to do. I have someone starting to utilize the translation utility in CATIA version 4 to do the conversion. I'm waiting for results from him. In the mean time, I'm trying to find another solution. I have read the CATIA models into the software FEMAP. When I wrote out a STEP model, the conversion was not correct. When I try to write a IGES model from FEMAP, no output file appears.

Now, I've downloaded the CATIA v4 to IGES software from CADLINK, and am about to test it.

Either CGR, IGES, or STEP will work. Since CGR is not an option in v4, then IGES or STEP will have to do. I have someone starting to utilize the translation utility in CATIA version 4 to do the conversion. I'm waiting for results from him. In the mean time, I'm trying to find another solution. I have read the CATIA models into the software FEMAP. When I wrote out a STEP model, the conversion was not correct. When I try to write a IGES model from FEMAP, no output file appears.

Now, I've downloaded the CATIA v4 to IGES software from CADLINK, and am about to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back