Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA v5 Section Views in Part design mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stimpee

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2001
US
Is there any way to "section" a solid or group of surfaces in CATIAv5R12 when working in the part/assembly/generative shape design workbenches?

I am used to SolidWorks where I can select section view and slice the model "interactively" with any given plane and view the section.

Thanks!!

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, if you are in part design, and enter the sketcher you can press the cut part by sketch plane in the tools toolbar inside the sketcher, and it will show you the piece sectioned by your sketch plane. don't know any better way, but i'm just a begginer

In assembly design you can definetely use the "sectioning" command. If you have the "space analysis" toolbar it is the icon with a sphere and a plane interfering in a bright yellow part.
Moving the section plane in the 3D space, you have the different section views in the left part of the screen.

Enjoy,
Catibon.

As Catibon mentioned, the DMU Space Analysis workbench is probably the best way to go. If you have an SPA licence, use it.

The other sectioning tools are only momentary. SPA adds sections to the tree so you can go in and out of them without re-orienting your cutting plane every time.

The best method is to make use of the GSD/WSF workbenches.
Create a plane based on the section orientation that you want. For example offset plane z=20. Now create an intersect feature between the plane and your part.
Tip: For better visualization make the part semi-transparent say 200.

Make sure the intesect result is set to Surface.
Now just dynamically drag the created plane and the section updates automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back