Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAV Injection Pump..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshmech

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2008
Can any of you post the design and working principle of CAV injection pump which was used... Any links to informative sites, regarding the query, will be helpful.. because the Google search did not help..

BREATHE AUTOMOTIVES>>>>>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Linear type...
yes from Lucas-CAV era only...
But i think BOSCH were also involved in it..
I need the technical details..

BREATHE AUTOMOTIVES>>>>>

Damn, I've stripped a Minimec before and then recalibrated it. I wish I'd taken pictures.

The bigger brother is the Majormec.

Pumping plungers with rack-controlled helical spill valves is all you really need to know.

- Steve

the CAV-Lucas line pumps were originally based on the Bosch designed inline pumps. In fact, before Worldwar II Bosch had part of the shares of what was called CAV Ltd. At the end of the thirties Bosch lost its shares and CAV carried on designing pumps based on the Bosch originals, of course with some difference in detail.

For info about older types you can look here:

Hi Sompting Guy.. Can u please try to get some of those snaps again.... I dont have any idea on the rack-controlled helical spill valve you are talking about..

romke... i saw that link from Google search itself.. But thanx anyways.. Im tryin to get the working principle behind it..

BREATHE AUTOMOTIVES>>>>>

Yes, that's exactly what I was describing. The cam strikes the base, giving the plunger a fixed travel per stroke. The intake port is fed at constant(ish) pressure so that the pumping volume is kept full. End of injection is controlled by the rotational angle of the plunger - finishes when the helical groove meets the spill port. The rotational position of all of the plungers is controlled by a the toothed rack. This rack runs the whole length of the pump, rotating all plungers at the same time.

These pumps were probably more inventive and interesting than the engines they were connected to. They were certainly as noisy.

- Steve

cshmech,

Go to books.google.co.uk and enter "helical groove" "spill port" as your search terms. Some of the hits have a limited preview. Those previews are far from limited. "Marine Diesel Engines" even contains cut-awy pictures of inline and distributor CAV pumps.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back