Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAVITATION DUE TO VALVE CLOSURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmc1

Chemical
Apr 8, 2003
SG
The problem I face in plant is to determine the maximum angle of closure from full open before the valve starts to cavitate. I am working on a project to implement partial stroke test on valve on-line and need to determine to what max. angle the valve is allowed to stroke before cavitation kicks in. The fluid is hydrocarbons like isobutane and hexene-1. Any software programs that can do this job? Appreciate comments or guidance. Thanks.

Rgds,
Chng,TM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it may be possible if you know the temperature of the fluid and pressure drop across the valve at each position. You have to check that the (line pressure-the pressure drop) should always be more than the saturation pressure of the fluid at the fluid inlet temperature.

Regards,

Eng-Tips.com : Solving your problems before you get them.

Cavitation is a function of pressure drop, downstream pressure, vapor pressure and valve pressure recovery factor.
The valve pressure recovery factor is highest for wide open valve (Fl, Kc is lowest) so closing the valve more will not cause cavitation in itself.
What causes the cavitation is the system hydraulics; when you close the valve the downstream pressure falls and cavitation occurs.
You just need to calculate the downstream pressure at different valve openings (different Cv's) and using the pressure recovery factor for these openings, calculate the onset of cavitation. You can use Fisher First or other commercial control valve software from Masoneilan, Valtek etc.
By the way, most partial stroke tests to verify operability (for safety system testing) for clean fluids use 10% as the stroke which normally would not cause any problems with upsetting the process flow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back