Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CBR from Plate Bearing Test - UK Design Manual for Roads and Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudman57

Geotechnical
May 27, 2004
GB
There is a formula for obtaining the CBR value from plate bearing tests in the UK DMRB, IAN 73/06. It is

CBR % = 6.1 x 10^-8 x (k762)^1.733

There is no worked example in the current version of this document. An example in an older version (DMRB Volume 7 Section 2 Part 2) suggests that the formula should actually read

6.1 x (10x10^-8) ...... (or, in scientific format) 6.1 x 10E-8

which gives an answer an order of magnitude higher than some results I've had from a testing lab - i.e., they've used

6.1 x 10^-8.... (or) 6.1E-8

This version looks like the published formula, but doesn't give the answer in the example (using their value for k (24,100), the example gives a CBR of 24%, whereas the formula as published gives 2.4%, at least by my reckoning).

Results I've seen elsewhere agree with the published example! As a result I'm at a bit of a loss to know which version to use. Does anyone know definitively which version is correct, or, the provenance of the formula? I suppose it is possible that the published example had an error in it, but you'd like to think not.

The only reference to this I could find on here gave an example, which agreed with the second version above....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the material to determine the reasonableness of your answer. A CBR of 2.4 would be a structurally unstable material, such as a soft silt or clay. A CBR of 24 would represent a moderately stable material such as a clean fine sand, slightly silty fine sand or similar.

What is the validity range of your formula?

Ah, that's where it gets confusing.

The results I've had from a lab were for tests through large cored holes, on a slab sub-base of granular material. They quoted CBRs of 12-40 (so were considered reasonable; some areas had failed). These results indicated that the calculation had been done using the 'lower magnitude' version of the formula.

I have also seen results on compacted crushed concrete, so also a competent material, which had been calculated using the 'higher magnitude' version.

Hence the confusion.

I'm not sure about the validity range; the manual doesn't state this and doesn't state where the formula comes from.

I would expect compacted crushed concrete to have a CBR value greater than 150 or 200. In my area, the state department of transportation uses a bastardized version of the CBR called an LBR (Limerock Bearing Ratio). It is almost identical to the CBR, just with a slightly different scaling. The CBR is typically 80 percent of the LBR in value, so a material with a CBR of 80 would have an LBR of 100.

We routinely see values (equivalent CBR) in the range of 130 to 200 for crushed limerock base and crushed concrete base.

I can't imagine that you could even do a plate load test on a material with a CBR of 2.4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back