Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCIT X.25 solution wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

wchiara

Electrical
Dec 2, 2004
US
I have set up an RS-485 network consisting of a host and three nodes. The host is a PC/AT Pentium class microcomputer which attaches to the network through its serial [com] port and an Advantech ADAM4520 RS-232 to RS-485 converter module. Legacy CNC controllers make up the three nodes connected to the network through Advantech ADAM4521 addressable RS-485 to RS-232 converters.

Two of the three nodes are displaying over-run errors accompanied by random data loss / corruption. These
two problematic CNC controllers have limited CCIT capability; i.e., highest speed == 4800 baud, fixed [if any]
parity checking. OEM: Yasnac MODEL: MX3. The third node has demonstrated no errors or data loss; a
relatively more advanced machine. OEM: Okuma, MODEL: OSP5020L.

We are using a terminal emulation application [Qmodem] at the host using generic ASCII to send the text files, no protocol at present. All nodes are set to the same parameter set; i.e., 4800,7,E,2, half-duplex.

Q. Is an x.25 protocol controller the answer?

Any suggestions or comments welcome and appreciated.

Wm.M.Chiaramonte
Sr. Controls Engineer
American Baler Company
wchiara@americanbaler.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back