Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CCTV camera signal loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFBISSGuy

Electrical
Sep 8, 2010
US
Hello. I was curious if any of you can tell me the percent of degrade a digital CCTV camera will have over time. The reason behind my question is that I have a company that wants to replace my old cameras in a system to resolve dark site picture issues. It is my opinion that is only a short term solution and that the aging fiber-optic transmitter/receiver equipment should be replaced as well due to its ability to compensate for signal loss and over a distance. What do you think; I am crazy to think that a new digital CCTV signal will weaken over time?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The optics and the CCD chip in the camera will degrade over time.

Like any electronic component/system, the video to fiber conversion equipment will have some issues over time, but is not really subject to the same degredation as the camera optics.

In my experience, I have had more issues with old cameras degrading VS the fiber transport. The fiber transport usually works, or it doesn't.

I would say, if the entire system is being upgraded, it woudln't hurt to repalce the fiber converters. But... if the existing ones work, are compatable with the new cameras, and spares are still avaialble, I wouldnt take on the extra exspense if I didn't need to.

A more recent level of sensor technology will increase sensitivity to darkness (assuming that's the spec you're shooting for). They're thinking in the right direction, but you have to make sure the new camera chosen actually has a better low-lux spec. Degredation of the sensor in dark conditions, though? Unlikely in your lifetime... at least not enough that you would notice it.

If the FO equipment is working (you're transmitting digital, not analog, so you're either receiving bits or you're not) and has the bandwidth you require, I see no need to replace it.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Depending on the application, there are plenty of cameras that have IR high-power LED illumination. The dark location remains visibly dark, but it is lit up by the IR LEDs.

Thank you all for your responses. I will take this in to consideration. I was under the impression that if the video signal starts to fail from the camera, then we could compensate that poor signal with the fiber-optic transmitter and further compensate at the receiver side. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back