Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CE-Marking, MDsection 4.4.1 d. static test coefficient must (or not) be mentioned in the manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPIAAM

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2016
DE
The MD says in section 4.4.1 d. that the static test coefficient what is used must be mentioned in the manual. In existing manuals it hardly seems to be mentioned anywhere. I think it is mandatory for CE certification. Or am I missing something? Who knows more about this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd have to look up a typical lifting we buy under the MD, to know for sure, but I suspect that it refers to a coefficient which made up of the test weight divided by the SWL (Safe Work Load), as a means of a proof test.

Just looked up the MD guidelines. Refer to pages (a.o.) 347 & 348, which contain further details on this specific paragraph (4.4.1) of the MD.

I just looked up a certificate for a lifting/hoisting device we bought under the MD. it indeed mentions the WLL (Working Load Limit) and the applied proofload. The ratio between the two is, I suspect, the static test coefficient.

Thank you XL83NL for your quick response. You think the actual static test coefficient is not mentioned formally, but already calculated into the proof load.
This could very well be the case in several manuals. But still then there are quit a lot where no static test coefficient is stated and the proof load equals WLL. Maybe working according to an old method or just sloppiness. It still keeps me wondering, but thnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back