Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CE Marking of Skid Frame as per Machinery Directive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2006

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
GB
We are building a chemical dosing unit which is to be mounted on a skid frame and is to be used offshore.
We have been asked to supply a CE declaration of conformity to cover the lifting assembly.
In the past this would just include the lifting beam and shacles etc.
However our client has stated that the skid frame itself should also be considered as part of the assembly.
Has anybody else come across this ?
Would a skid frame be considered uder the machinery directive ?

Any help would be great

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The skid frame is unlikely to need to be CE marked by itself but the complete skid is

If there are moving parts driven by something other than manual effort then it is a machine and must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive.

If you look at the machinery directive, an assembly of machine place together to form an integral whole are considered as a single machine

If the skid frame however includes the guards to prevent access to the dosing unit, then it may be considered a safety component and need to be CE marked under the Machinery Directive.

Is there pressurised components/vessels in the skid, If so the pressure equipment

PM me if you want to talk further

SPARKYLARKS,

Thanks for the reply.
The Skid contains a chemical dosing unit consisting of Pipework and Pneumatic Pumps.
We will be CE marking these as per Pressure Equipment Directive and Lloyds are assessing the design and build accordingly.

There is no guarding required.

We often build these Skids and we (as the fabricator) only ever CE mark the pressure equipment.

The Lifting Equipment (Beam, shackles, chains)is supplied to us CE marked to the Machinery Directive but the skid frame was never previously included as a piece of Lifting Equipment.

The OP asked this question in another forum, too. My advice was to have look into the European Machine Directive, especially what kind of equipment is not covered by the directive. Pretty interesting what one can find there about offshore equipment....

Going off the subject a bit, I'm new to this CE Marking stuff, I know to do it that I will need a technical file, however I don't have a clue about how to set one up, if anyone has an example of one or can help me at all I would appreciate that very much.

chico656@hotmail.com

Nico Rosella

I do not think it is CE staff only. If the assembly is going to be lifted by crane/lifting equipment the lifting frame/aasembly, its lug connections to the frame, and their pin connection to shackles in the direction of lifting shall comply with the code that covers lifting equipment.

During the lifting the lifting equipment may have high lifting speed etc... as well. The lifting equipment/tackle codes have some requirements to comply with againt the actions due to lifting. That is all.

I think these are fundamentals to consider for all lifting actions for any equipment. ut sometime peaple can forget, therefore the codes may force you to comply.

Regards,

Ibrahim Demir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back