CE Self-Certification under EMC Directive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhudc

Electrical
Dec 26, 2002
US
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the steps to be taken after failing the self-certification? i.e. after self-certifying, if the product placed in the market fails to comply/conform to the EU standards. What are the corrective measures to be taken in such a situation? Do all existing products in the market have to be pulled back? Does the shipping of product have to stop unless the problem is rectified? etc.
Can anyone please clarify? This is my first time with CE Self-Certification and want to measure the risks before going in for it.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi madhudc,

Unfortunately if your products entered the market place after the mandatory date for CE Marking it could lead to legal problems if you don't fix it. The good part is its an EMC problem and unless your product creates a disturbance and interferes with other equipment or keeps shutting itself down know one will catch on.
First, I recommend you contact the EMC lab and find out where the problem is. The lab should have investigated what was causing the failure. Find out what test failed and what they think is the problem. At this point not knowing what test failed, I can't suggest a fix.
Second, When you know what the fix is I would take the time to send out an update to your products in the market and if necessary hire a service group to make the necessary chnages in the field. If for some reason you are challenged while in the process of fixing your product, you can either get in touch with me or call another European Agency. Get the Agency involved to say you are working with them to provide a solution to non-conformance issue. Do not turn over any information to the requesting Agency who is making the challenge allow your Agency to handle the dispute (if it ever happens).

You must fix your products, it's a legal requirement. Your worst enemy is your competitor and sooner or later they will catch on.

Feel free to contact me
Good luck Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back