Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ceiling fans NFPA 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireProtection2009

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2009
US
We have a project that is a new apartment bldg that is NFPA 13 with residential sidewalls. I have someone that seems to think I have to be 8’ away from ceiling fans. I am using nfpa 13 section 8.10.7.2.1.7 and A 8.6.5.2.1.10 and my take is that I do not have to be 8’ away if I meet these code sections. We are using tyco LFII res sidewalls and they do not address it in there tech sheet so I went to the residential sidewalls section of nfpa 13. We are also setting deflectors at 10” down so I don’t see a fan being a obstruction anyway. Can someone please clarify if my interpretation is correct or I am wrong. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You did not state what edition of NFPA 13 you are referencing. However, the 2016 edition clearly addresses your situation. First, when you read NFPA 13, location has meaning. 8.6 is for standard spray upright and pendent sprinklers. You can not use that criteria for residential sidewall sprinklers. So, sticking in 8.10, you have 8.10.7.2.1.3 that addresses your situation. 8.10.7.2.1.7 addresses your fan blades. Additional clarifying information is in the annex of that section that states the housing body is expected to be addressed by the 4x rule.

Hopefully this clears up your situation.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Thank you Travis I typed the annex code wrong but the code you mentioned about 4 times from housing units is the one I meant. My boss is looking at the situation all wrong and saying I had to look at the residential sidewall as a extended coverage which is incorrect there is a section specifically for residential sidewalls. I found a article from AFSA as well. Also it was 2016 I was looking at. Thank you for your feed back I get a lot out of your feedback for all the posts I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back